Saturday, June 27, 2009

Blur

It's been one of those weeks...wait, months?...in which I keep thinking of things that I'd really like to blog about, and then I just don't. So here I am, and I apologize in advance for the kaleidoscope of memories and experiences I am about to jumble.

Chris left for Senior High Camp two weeks ago today. His week there was interesting for a lot of reasons. First of all, I think he had a fantastic time. But more importantly, I know that he was used by God in mighty ways. He gave his full on, all out testimony on Tuesday night, and I am STILL hearing from kids quoting him as they themselves share the struggles that they have had and/or are continuing to have. Confession of sin is such a powerful thing, and true repentance just can't happen until confession has taken place.

We are still seeing amazing things from our youth group. I had the privilege of teaching Sunday School and helping out with senior high youth group while Chris was at camp, and have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it was a reaffirming call on my own life as well. The week of July 6th we'll be at Junior High Camp...Chris is the speaker and I'm the worship-in-song leader. Please pray for us both...stepping back into any form of ministry feels like an emotional land mine, but we have already seen God using our willingness to share our faults, weaknesses and failures for His good purpose.

While Chris was gone, I set up just about the fullest socializing schedule I've had since having kids. It was slightly exhausting, but I had a lot of really fun conversations and time out. And it kept the kids entertained as well. The kids and I got a lot of really precious time, and I realized just how lucky I am to be their mother. It is a daunting task, but holy cow, how rewarding it is.

The day Chris came back, I flew out to Victoria, British Columbia to see my dear twin sister get ordained as an elder in the Church of the Nazarene. We got to spend the next day with my grandma, mom, brother, Matt, Kadee, and their kids in Victoria. I LOVE Victoria. I hadn't been there in 10 years, and it was so much fun. The weather cooperated for the first hour, and then we spent a lot of time darting from warm shop to warm shop. I ate a 9 dollar banana split with my nephews and it was heavenly. After spending most of the afternoon there, we took the ferry back to Vancouver. Aaron and I stayed with Kadee and Matt, and I got the privilege of sleeping in my nephew's high, high bunk bed. I admit, that part was very scary. :)

The next day proved to be the most emotional day of the trip. Aaron and I got to go to the church where Kadee and Matt are both pastors. It is located in the heart of Vancouver, and within walking distance of Kadee and Matt's apartment. It is an incredibly diverse church. I don't know that I've ever been to a more diverse church. Racial lines were literally non-existent...people of Asian, African, European, and Latino descent were all intermingling and sharing their lives and faiths without even blinking. It was fantastic. And I got to see both Kadee and Matt in their pastoral roles, which was also quite awe-inspiring.

And then I saw Jeffrey.

Jeffrey is in his 30's, and is severely autistic. I'd heard about Jeffrey from Kadee many times before. Jeffrey came bounding across the fellowship hall during Kadee's reception with a wide smile on his face. He was jumping, flapping, standing still and checking out the room using his peripheral vision, dancing, and literally exuded joy.

And in that moment, I saw my Andrew. Kadee asked if I wanted to meet Gwen, Jeffrey's mother, and I, who literally will hide to try and avoid meeting strangers, was more eager to meet her than anyone else in my life.

Kadee went into the kitchen and pulled out this beautiful, tiny woman of Indian and Chinese descent. She had a warm smile on her face, and immediately came over with Kadee. I didn't even hear the introduction Kadee gave, I just took Gwen's hand and started bawling. Gwen didn't need any sort of explanation. She kept my hand and started telling me about her own experience, asked about Andrew, and reminded me that while we cannot change our children (they are who they are), we can make fitting in to "our world" as easy for them as we can.

And she KNEW. She KNEW my world. She had suffered a failed marriage because her husband could not handle having a child with autism. She is Jeffrey's caretaker, 24/7. She is in the midst of trying to get housing approved from the Canadian government so that families with special needs adult children can live together in a community so that if she or any of the parents pass away, there will be a community to continue taking care of the child. She agonizes, as do so many parents with mentally and/or physically disabled children, about who will take care of Jeffrey after she passes.

And so, as Gwen kept talking, I kept crying. And at the end, she asked me to pray for her, and for her mission to get housing for her family and for the families of the many others in the community who were in the same difficult situation. And so, I have been praying. If you think of it, join in prayer with me for Gwen, Jeffrey, and the many families in this same, very difficult place in life. What a blessing her story and encouraging words were to me.

Right after church, we went back to Kadee and Matt's house. I packed up and flew out that afternoon. It was very good to get back home to my husband and kids. And even though I got in late, I went into Andrew's room and checked on him. Apparently he had just started falling asleep, but hadn't gotten there quite yet. When I walked in and looked down at his face, he looked up, got of his usual HUUUUUGE smiles on his face, and said "Mommy! Come here..." and reached up and gave me a big hug. He held on and I took him out with me and held my dear boy for quite a while. How thankful I am for him, and for his life.

Chris and I took the usual 4 days to adjust to life back with each other. It's amazing how hard it is being apart but at the same time how difficult it is getting used to being together in the same house again. However, we're in a good place now, and I can't begin to say how proud I am of my husband.

Swim lessons started up this week. I started out with Andrew in his adaptive class, which happens to be taught by a friend of ours. The first day was a little tough, but he really did seem to enjoy himself. On Wednesday, I traded with Chris and took Jeffy and Kadee Joy to the outdoor pool lessons. It was fun...but so cold! And I took them on the warms days!

Yesterday we skipped out on lessons (70 degrees with a strong wind=Mommy, Jeffy and Kadee Joy are too cold) and took a family outing to the mall. It was the best mall trip we've ever had. Andrew didn't run at all, although he would occasionally wander. However, he always came back when he called his name. Kadee Joy got some early birthday presents as Children's Place and Gap Kids were having a great sale. She got sunglasses that make her look like Sharpay from High School Musical, so she's delighted with herself. Jeffy fell asleep about an hour into the trip, so he was fine. :) We finished up the trip with a stop at Starbucks for some summer drinks, and then headed back home for naps. It was a good day.

Today Chris has class...ugh...and then tomorrow he preaches! I always get nervous, but he always does a great job. Please pray for him if you think about it. May God continue to use him in mighty ways.

So I should get back to my kids. They're content, having eating breakfast and being able to watch the horrible Saturday morning cartoons, but I really should get more accomplished with them. Please keep our family in your prayers...changes continue to come on faster than we expect, but God has been very good in providing the strength and help we need.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

this made me cry-and i don't even know you all that well, though I feel like I do.. so excited for you guys in all aspects.

On Being Sexually Assaulted While Having a Seizure, Reporting It, and the Aftermath

I never thought it would happen to me. I certainly never thought it would happen at work. When it happened, I reported it.  Immediately. The...