Saturday, September 6, 2008

The little things

As I woke up this morning, I discovered that there are so many sounds and everyday routines that are unique to my life.

First, Kadee Joy came stumbling into our room with her cup, which she clumsily shoved at Chris, saying, "Daddy...I want more appuh jooce." (she insists on saying it like this...apparently she has a higher success rate with it)

Chris had had a fairly eventful night last night getting up with the kids, so I decided to give him a break. I got up with Miss Thing, and got her a drink.

Next came the inevitable request. "Mommy, I want you to sleep with me."

Kadee Joy is a girl after her mommy's own heart. She would snuggle with me every night, every nap, if she could. I am not an openly affectionate person...unless it's my family. Then I can't seem to help always hugging and kissing on them. And snuggling is the best.

So I laid down with Kadee Joy (it was already 6:45 am, so I knew we wouldn't be there long). After about 5 minutes, she was snoozing away. I was starting to get drowsy again, when all of a sudden I heard the quick footsteps of Andrew heading towards my bedroom. I knew that Chris was still trying to sleep, so I started to at least think about getting back up. :)

And then I heard a sweet, sing-song voice start babbling, "Hi! Hi! Da-da? Da-da? Hi! Hi!"
Jeffy was awake, and was beginning his morning conversation with his (as yet) unseen Daddy. So I got out of bed, and went into Jeffy's room.

Jeffy's smile is pretty infectious, as were all my kids at that age. He started bouncing up and down in his crib, and started repeating, "Hi!" even more rapidly. So I picked him up, and then went to search for Andrew.

Andrew had also started his morning routine conversation. Andrew speaks in movie quotes. Movie quotes and songs. The only time he doesn't it is when his basic needs to to be met. "Joooooooce? Mut? Mut? (Juice? Milk? Milk?)"

This morning, he was singing a BackYardigans song. "Tooooper-Pah!!!!!!" (Super Spy!) As he heard my footsteps approaching, he prepared himself for his normal greeting. "Hah!" (Hi) Then he ran towards me, wrapped his arms around my legs, and buried his head into me while he said "MMMMMMMMM." And then he saw his blanket. "Gobet?" (Blanket?)

Whenever Andrew says anything, the only thing he wants is for you to repeat it back. Then he can go on. If he falls on the ground, he'll look up at you and say, "Okay?" It is your job to say, "Are you okay?" Then he says, "Kay...." and gets up and continues on.

I could go on and on, but this is already probably enough...And probably only interesting to my heart. :) Either way...I love these sounds. They keep a smile on my face and remind me that in spite of the difficulties that come every once in while, these kids are a huge blessing to me, and I am privileged to be their mommy.

1 comment:

joy said...

How precious. I can relate to those special moments as well. Saturday mornings are the best when you actually have time to appreciate the little routines that they go through to start their day.

On Being Sexually Assaulted While Having a Seizure, Reporting It, and the Aftermath

I never thought it would happen to me. I certainly never thought it would happen at work. When it happened, I reported it.  Immediately. The...