Friday, October 24, 2008

Random thoughts

I think that I have seen that title on every blog I've ever read.

Random Thought #1: I'm really not a big fan of Jenny McCarthy's views of autism. She's all about "greening our vaccines." She claims that the mercury-tainted vaccines, or aluminum, or something in our vaccines are what cause autism.

I don't know how many more studies need to come out saying that there is NO LINK between vaccinations and autism, but I'm really getting tired of hearing about more studies looking for the non-existent link. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, send that money to fund research on other techniques or drugs that will help our kids who already have autism.

It also is very difficult to hear that she has cured her son of autism. I'm very skeptical of this...curing autism is something supported by virtually no one in the medical world. It's a different way of thinking, perceiving, feeling...not a disease to be cured. Changes in diet, medication, and continuous therapies can help the child to adapt more easily and act more "normal", but it never fully "cures" the child. At least not from what I've read. I'm not above believing in miraculous healing...but I also don't believe that there is a prescribed set of medications, diets, and exercises that will always "cure" a child with autism. It's too broad, to distinct in each case, too varied in its' symptoms from child to child.

Random Thought #2: We had an AWESOME experience with Andrew last night. Andrew has the arm of a Major League pitcher. His accuracy and speed of pitch are amazing. He hurls things so fast and so hard that he could easily dent walls, bruise skin, and break glass. Last night as we were riding back home, Andrew finished with his glass of juice. Sometimes he just drops the cup on the ground. Sometimes he asks for more. Last night, he chucked it as hard as he could. As it so happened, my head happened to be in his juice cup's path. I didn't have any idea it was coming either, as Chris and I were in the middle of what was a very deep conversation. So when it hit my head, I let out of scream of both pain and surprise.

Andrew is not particularly sensitive to sound, at least not in comparison to many kids with autism are. However, the human scream is one he cannot hear without tears of his own. He immediately began bawling, and while I wanted to comfort him, I spent the first 30 seconds after the hit rubbing my very sore head.

Then all of a sudden, breaking through the sobs, we heard Andrew shout, "SAAAA-WWWWYYY!" (SOOOOOORRRRY! (sorry)) And then he kept saying it. "Sawwy! Sawwy! Sawwy!" while the tears kept flowing. I finally (after a bit of shock) turned around and took Andrew's hand and held while I told him that it was okay. He finally settled down, and we continued on our way home.

It was an amazing moment because it wasn't prompted, because it was connected to another human being's feelings, and because it was at the appropriate time and setting. Yay, Andrew! He's getting it!

Random Thought #3: I miss the days of illness accompanied by concern, care, and rest. Before kids, both Chris and I were pretty good about trying to take care of the other person. Chris was particularly caring and nurturing.

Now, though, with three kids and a shortage of time and sleep, it's every spouse for themselves. And since Chris is home all day with the kids, he's certainly put in his time with them by the time I get home. So, no rest for the weary. :)

Random Thought #4: I went to NNU today to pick up something for Chris, and while I was there saw the sights and smelled the smells so unique to NNU. Immediately, memories of my college days came back, and I became a little wistful as I remembered those days when studies, coffee, and friends were the primary responsibilities and pleasures to be had.

"Tears, idle tears, I know not what they mean.
Tears from the depth of some divine despair
Rise from the heart and gather in the eyes
in looking on the happy autumn fields
and thinking of the days that are no more."

-Alfred Lord Tennyson

2 comments:

Dee Wirick Davis said...

My sweet girl, I appreciate your honesty and heartfelt thoughts. I don't talk enough to you on the phone but this blog keeps me connected and I so appreciate it. Please keep writing and I will rejoice with each positive thing in Andrew's life. You are an amazing mother and I am so proud of you! Love, Mom

Casey, Janelle, Ella, and Hadley said...

Yay Andrew! So happy about the small successes and glad you share them!

On Being Sexually Assaulted While Having a Seizure, Reporting It, and the Aftermath

I never thought it would happen to me. I certainly never thought it would happen at work. When it happened, I reported it.  Immediately. The...