Friday, October 17, 2008

Sick day, sick day


I do actually have a tune in my head while I type my title. It has been YEEEEEAAAARRRRS since I have actually had paid sick days to take. Usually they all go to maternity leave. So yesterday, when my frustration continued to mount as my voice continued to leave me, I decided to plunge ahead and take a sick day. So I put out a sub request, got my lesson plans in order, contacted the necessary people, and TOOK IT!

So now it's 8:23 on a school day and I am not going to school. Instead, I'm drinking my tea, listening to my children interact, my husband organize (a fantastic sound), and my refrigerator run. And while I don't feel well, I definitely feel relaxed.

The battle for sleep had a victory last night. Andrew was going on 4 weeks of sleeping only a few hours a night (with us also only sleeping a few hours). Chris and I were at each other's throats constantly, bringing back vivid memories of our first newborn experience ("I just got up with her! You get up with her!"), and neither of us were really getting any good sleep.

So then last Saturday, Chris went to one of his city league football games and got reacquainted with a guy who does a great deal of work with autism. He suggested melatonin, which is a homeopathic pill that adds a hormone that children with autism are oftentimes greatly lacking in. This hormone happens to be the one that also tells your brain you're tired and you need to go to sleep. At least, this is the theory behind the pill.

So we were all over that idea, and I went out and bought a bottle of the stuff. So far, it has worked WONDERS, and Andrew had his first full night of sleep last night. I don't remember the last time Andrew has slept through the night. As a result, our whole family was able to sleep through the night, although Chris did get up once to check on Andrew when he though he heard him moaning. Cup refill, Andrew takes a drink, Andrew is quiet again, and still asleep.

So we are all in great moods this morning, although it looks like I may have given the illness that plagues me to my kids. I'd love to say that I'm not going to do anything today, but that would be untrue. Chris is going to try and get little errands done, I'm going to try and catch up on the laundry, and anything else I can do around here.

So it's a sick day, but a good day. And we're very grateful for the sleep we were given.

1 comment:

Dee Wirick Davis said...

I love my Andrew! I am so glad he is sleeping better. Love, Bomma

On Being Sexually Assaulted While Having a Seizure, Reporting It, and the Aftermath

I never thought it would happen to me. I certainly never thought it would happen at work. When it happened, I reported it.  Immediately. The...