Saturday, October 11, 2008

Saturday morning fun

So here I sit, writing a blog, dressed warmly, listening to the sound of typing as well as my boys drinking their milk and playing with toys. Our house is warm compared to the freezing wind outside. We all just dropped Kadee Joy off at ballet. She is just the cutest think ever in her black leotard, pink tights, and hair pulled back into two buns. The house is much quieter without her here, although we'll be going to pick her up again in just a few minutes.

Andrew isn't sleeping well. He has so many sensory issues that I think nighttime is just a little overwhelming. His pajamas always seem to bother him, he's always looking for something to chew on, and he's would just love for his mommy to stay next to him the whole night because he loves to be held close. And he's always singing or quoting something while he's trying to go to sleep...I think his mind has difficulty shutting off just like many grownups do, but there's nothing we've been able to find that helps him shut it down...he just has to keep quoting and singing until he's asleep.

And so with his lack of sleep comes our lack of sleep. Andrew can't be left to wander the house, which he would love to do, particularly as he has recently mastered unlocking the deadbolt. He also can break all our child locks on the doors, and likes nothing better than to raid (well, destroy) the pantry. But mostly he just loves to come into our room and wait for us to take him back to his room...or better yet, be so deeply asleep that he can sneak into our bed and try to go undetected for as long as possible.

I remember the days when he used to be able to sleep all night just by sticking him in his crib with a bottle. He would drink his bottle, fall asleep, and would stay there until we came to get him the next morning. Ahhh, the days.

Chris has football and worship team practice on Saturdays, so it's usually just me and the kids until around dinner time. I'm hoping that we all get a nap today (at the same time...), and that I am able to use the time I have with them for fun, snuggles, and anything else that seems to be restricted to the early days of childhood. I know these days will pass by sooner than I would imagine, and that they are not days I will be able to get back.

Off to get Kadee Joy!

No comments:

On Being Sexually Assaulted While Having a Seizure, Reporting It, and the Aftermath

I never thought it would happen to me. I certainly never thought it would happen at work. When it happened, I reported it.  Immediately. The...