Thursday, December 18, 2008

It has a name

Today, our rheumatologist diagnosed Jeffy with Reiter's syndrome, or reactive arthritis. It doesn't normally hit kids this young...but apparently that is what it is. He found the arthritis in Jeffy's ankles. Reactive arthritis can hit a variety of places, and is technically a chronic autoimmune disease. But the stats on it are pretty promising. About half the people who are diagnosed with it don't ever have another episode again after they've been healed. But I should say that I know very little about it, having only heard of it four hours ago. And our son has it.

So we start steroids tonight, which should heal him from his current attack. Thank you for your prayers, particularly in that we would find the source of Jeffy's pain. It has been found, and we will do what we need to do to get him healed.

No comments:

On Being Sexually Assaulted While Having a Seizure, Reporting It, and the Aftermath

I never thought it would happen to me. I certainly never thought it would happen at work. When it happened, I reported it.  Immediately. The...