Monday, February 16, 2009

Another Wild Weekend

About two weeks ago I called my mom up and let her know that I was really missing her and the rest of my extended family. My dad's side was having their annual get together in Neskowin, OR on President's Day weekend, and I wondered aloud if it would be possible for us to come. We looked into plane tickets, which were way too high since it was under 21 days away. Then I talked to Chris about it, and he was all for all five of us driving over. Mom was able to get a bigger room at the Inn at Proposal Rock, where she and the rest of my family were planning on staying. So I took a personal day on Friday, and early Friday morning we drove to the coast.

That part of the trip went really well. We had minimal crying from the backseat, and we managed to make it there in time to pick up Mom (well, caravan with her) and head to Neskowin. Right before we left, Chris presented me with a beautiful boquet of wildflower looking flowers. So beautiful! As I think about it though, I'm pretty sure we left them at mom's house. But they really were beautiful.

We picked up pizza on the way there, and started eating it once we got to our suite, which had an ocean view and was AWESOME. Shortly after arriving, we found some of my cousins and my grandparents. They were heading to Mo's, a wonderful chowder house, and both my mom and husband encouraged me to go with them, while they stayed with the kids and allowed them to unwind from the 9 hour car ride.

It was great fun, and I had some delicious clam chowder and iced tea. I got back that night and had as nice a night's sleep as any hide-a-bed will allow.

The next morning we woke up to blue skies and our great view. The kids had all rested well, although we were all awake a little earlier than the rest of our Pacific time zone relatives.

Later that morning we had a great breakfast with the fam that was already there. The kids had a great time getting to know their third cousins. After that, Chris took Jeffy back to the room for a late morning nap, and the kids and I went to the beach with some of my cousins. It was a little chilly, but we had fun, even though Andrew insisted on running as close to the surf as possible. Proposal Rock is notorious for it's swiftly changing tides, and we were almost caught by it several times. It started to get dark, so we started the long walk in, and by the time we got back to our room, it was pouring. The kids and I changed into dry clothes, and then took a nice afternoon nap.





Upon waking, Chris and I saw that the weather had changed back into blue skies, and so Mom volunteered to take the kids while we walked. It was a wonderful time alone, with the refreshing wind that only an ocean can provide.



After our walk, we went over to get some coffee. Our mocha orders were taken by a guy who looked like he was too old to even know what we were talking about. However, appearances can be deceiving, and he turned out a fantastic vanilla mocha.

At this point, things turned a little crazy when an unexpected guest at our get together had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital. Chris had run out upon seeing a few people around her, and had the sense to get the people in our group who actually knew her. Unfortunately, the poor woman turned out to be highly intoxicated, and had fallen due to the effects of the alcohol. So she was taken away, and her daughter had to drive her back home after her stay in the hospital.

After that, we all got ready to have our big family dinner. It was chili and salad, and looked and smelled awesome. I had just sat down to look at some letters my grandfather had written his mother when Jeffy came over to be picked up. I passed the book to Chris, and five seconds later Jeffy puked all over me...and puked....and puked...and puked....and with each puke my family would give a louder, higher pitched "Ohhh!" So, Chris and I walked back with Jeffy to our room, while my mom cleaned up the mess. Chris volunteered to stay with Jeffy and Andrew, who was a little restless by this point, and I went back after completely changing every article of puke soaked clothing.

The dinner was fine, although I was a little queasy after being puked on. We headed back a little while later and found that Jeffy's puking had not stopped. As I took Jeffy, I started to feel even queasier. Needless to say, I also got whatever bug he had, and puked that night, and was unable to get up for our final family breakfast. Chris drove the windy roads back to Tillamook as slowly as he could without getting pulled over, and when we finally got there, I went to bed, and stayed there pretty much all day. It was still a beautiful, completely blue skied day, and I couldn't go anywhere or see anyone. MISERABLE!

So this morning, after puking again, we packed up our stuff for Nampa. About halfway through the trip I was able to actually eat again, and by the time we got home, I felt much better, although a little weak. Chris had to go to class tonight, so I'm very glad I was over the stomach stuff by that time.

It was a difficult weekend in those respects, but not nearly as difficult as it could have been. My husband was so thoughtful, and so attentive to me and to the kids. He was so supportive in giving me as much time with my dad's family as I could get, stayed with the kids during naps or necessary breaks, was up with the kids both nights I was sick, and drove both ways to allow me to sleep. I have married an extraordinarily wonderful man, and this weekend was just another reminder of that.

And I did get to see dad's side of the family, which was the best thing this weekend, the fourth anniversary of his untimely death, could possibly produce.

1 comment:

Dee Wirick Davis said...

Despite the sickness I am glad you guys had some fun moments and great moments. I loved seeing my grandchildren. I wish they were closer. Bomma

On Being Sexually Assaulted While Having a Seizure, Reporting It, and the Aftermath

I never thought it would happen to me. I certainly never thought it would happen at work. When it happened, I reported it.  Immediately. The...